Monday, May 04, 2009

Time out.......



I found some trolls in a cave

We decided we all needed some time out today, so we went to a local place of interest, Belvoir Castle (pronounced Beaver....hehe...beaver)
They had a special re~enactment weekend, portraying the Napoleonic Wars.....so we figured our boys might like to experience loud bangs, guns, cannons etc....yeah, it wasn't gonna be hard to please them, was it......hehehe
When we bought our ticket, we were given a quiz sheet, tailored for both their ages, so we went around the house, looking for the answers to the quizzes. What a brilliant idea......both of them were interested, and we got a decent look at the house and contents without them running about being all bored :D
If I am honest, and I am, that's what you all love about me.....hehehe...I was really disappointed with the overall conservation of the contents. It looked really tatty in places, threadbare carpets and ripped upholstery. And I won't even go into the damp!! Beautiful chinoiserie handpainted wallpapers.....ruined by damp....but hey, the castle needs a new roof, and all these things cost a lot of money.
Found a brilliant picture too.....called "Proverbs" by a Dutch artist,David Teniers (younger) that had a picture of two ladies spinning in it. Unfotunately, I was unable to take a picture of it, to show the absolute detail.....but it was ace...hehehe (you can just about see them sitting in the middle, one with the distaff and niddy~noddy, the other with the spindle)
We had a great day, it rained, but that didn't matter a jot.... *grins*

5 Comments:

Blogger Moggle said...

Looks like lots of fun!

1:07 AM  
Blogger Lattemama said...

When I visited my friend in Nottingham we talked about going to Belvoir but ended up going to a castle I forget the name of closer to her home.

It looks like a lot of fun!

7:16 AM  
Blogger dottyspots said...

*fnr fnr* you said beaver...

It looks like you had a great time - I love going to re-enactments, the Festival of History is a high point of the year for me :)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Looks like a great day out. Shame about the restoration (or rather not) of the castle though

6:26 PM  
Blogger Miffy said...

Glad you had a good day off! :)

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home